Scroll down to find job openings, volunteer opportunities, and internships with us and at our partner organizations.
Job Openings at the California School-Based Health Alliance
School-Based Health Care Project Director
Are you ready to take your experience with school-based health care to the next level? The California School-Based Health Alliance (CSHA) is seeking a Project Director for our statewide work providing assistance and training to school-based health centers (SBHCs) to enhance their sustainability and improve the scope and quality of their services.
As a Project Director, you will have the opportunity to work with the Executive Director and the leadership team to shape the direction and strategy for our technical assistance to school-based health centers throughout the state. This is a full-time position based in Oakland, but we would also consider an 80% FTE under the right circumstances.
Guide Statewide Strategy and Operations
We value creativity and initiative and strive to maintain an open and inclusive work environment. In this position, you will work closely with other members of the senior staff to help guide our work while identifying promising new opportunities for us to expand. The Project Director will advance strategy and operations by:
- Staying abreast of trends in school-based health care, maintaining relationships with partner organizations, and gathering information from school-based health centers.
- Working with senior staff and funders to generate resources to open up new opportunities for school-based health care in California.
- Developing grant deliverables and coordinating work to achieve these deliverables.
- Attending board meetings and partnering with board members as needed.
Content Expertise and Technical Assistance
Our local partners look to us for expertise and support. As such, you will have the opportunity to work directly with schools and medical providers to assist them in starting school-based health centers, strengthening infrastructure, improving quality of care, and piloting innovative approaches to school-based health care. The Project Director will also lift up promising models and practices from the field and share them by developing tools, website content, manuals, webinars, and presentations to help other SBHCs and school health programs.
There is lots of room for learning in this position; however, our ideal candidate will be prepared to help our local partners with the following:
- Starting an SBHC including funding, licensing, scope of work, etc.
- Improving clinic operations including quality improvement, care coordination, and third-party reimbursement.
- Implementing school health programs such as school-based asthma management, school nursing, immunization, or dental care.
- Developing school-community partnerships, including needs assessments, memoranda of understanding, and information sharing.
Outreach and Communications
We are excited about our work and want you to be an ambassador for school-based health in the state. In this role, you will work with our dynamic communications team to share your experience and carry our vision out to the field through activities such as:
- Presenting at conferences and meetings.
- Representing CSHA and school-based health centers in workgroups and coalitions.
- Planning, promoting, and presenting at CSHA’s popular and well-attended annual conferences.
- Managing web content and e-communications about program development and technical assistance (e.g., disseminating new resources, funding opportunities, and educational events).
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required:
- Minimum three years’ experience running or working in an SBHC or school health/nursing program.
- Strong knowledge of operational and administrative issues related to SBHCs, school nursing and/or community health centers.
- Strong verbal communication skills and experience designing and conducting educational presentations.
- Strong writing skills and experience developing educational materials.
- Preferred knowledge of clinical issues related to child/adolescent health care.
- Experience with program planning and management.
- Excellent communication skills and rapport with clients, trainees, peers, etc.
- Excellent administrative and organizational skills.
- Ability to travel regularly within California, including overnight, to work occasional weekend or evening hours, and take an average of one out-of-state trip each year.
- A Master’s Degree in Public Health, Nursing, or a related field is required.
Salary is dependent on experience. We offer a competitive benefit package.
Interested candidates are invited to submit a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use subject line: Project Director 2014.
Volunteer Openings at the California School-Based Health Alliance
Help Us Create a Bigger Picture of California’s SBHCs
Do you have a talent with photography, digital video editing, and graphic design? Can you commit at least 5 hours per month and be available for occasional all-day events? We are seeking a volunteer to:
- Photograph participants and video record testimonies at youth leadership events, school-based health center openings, and the statewide annual conference.
- Edit video testimonies and recordings of events to upload to our YouTube page.
- Assist with graphic design and production of our collateral, including fact sheets, conference materials, and other promotional handouts.
- Assist with graphic design of website elements, including social media banners and wrappers.
To apply, please send statement of interest and portfolio of visual work to email@example.com.
School Health Job Openings
Mental Health Clinical Specialist
In coordination with the Contra Costa County Health Services School-Based Clinic (SBC) Program, the Mental Health Clinic Specialist works to identify, address, improve, and support students who may be experiencing mental health issues. This can include anxiety and depression as a result of exposure to trauma, family dysfunction, poverty and/or lack of adequate health care. This position will be supervised by the CCHS Mental Health Program but will be working closely with CCHS SBC Program. This includes attending monthly SBC All Staff meetings, weekly Mental Health staff meetings, and participating in Supervision meetings. Learn more about the position and how to apply here.
Director I, Health Services
Sacramento City Unified School District Health Services is seeking a motivated person who has proven administrative ability and wants to make a difference by leading a team of dedicated, experienced staff to serve the growing health needs of the students in our richly diverse urban district. Our ideal candidate is a passionate advocate, effective communicator, innovative thinker, collaborative problem solver, data-based decision maker, and community builderr. We We currently operate 8 SBHCs that provide medical, dental, behavioral health, health education and youth development services to children and adolescents. The successful candidates will be committed to adolescent health and have relevant experience in staff supervision, budgeting and clinical operations. Learn more about the position and how to apply here.
Oakland TechniClinic SBHC Supervisor
La Clinica de La Raza is hiring a Clinic Supervisor for our dynamic Oakland Tech High School Based Health Center. La Clinica de La Raza is the largest community health care provider in the East Bay with a commitment to providing quality health care to underserved communities. We currently operate 8 SBHCs that provide medical, dental, behavioral health, health education and youth development services to children and adolescents. The successful candidates will be committed to adolescent health and have relevant experience in staff supervision, budgeting and clinical operations.
The position is year-round 1.0FTE (40 hours/week). The salary is $60,486 and full benefits are included. Interested candidates should apply online and send their resume and cover letter directly to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Daly City Youth Health Center Lead Physician
This is a part-time position for MD/DO with San Mateo County to provide both direct service clinical care to youth ages 13-25 at a school associated health center. Learn more about the position and how to apply here.
California Community Health Clinic Jobs
Other Public Health Job Openings
Public Health Institute (PHI)
PHI has a constantly updated list of health sector jobs.
Anti-Violence Program Job Openings
For California School-Based Health Alliance Members
Take advantage of another organizational member benefit and advertise your job openings here and in our bi-monthly eNews. Please contact us with your current job opening and provide us with: a brief job description; the full job description (either a PDF or website link); job location; and contact information for questions and resume submission. Job postings will stay up for one month unless we are notified that a position is still available or has been filled.