More than 2 million students in California are living at or below the federal poverty level. These children have many barriers to accessing health care – including transportation, cost, and time. Without the health care they need, they are less likely to succeed – and that impacts all of us.
It just makes sense to offer health care to these kids where they are – at school. But for more than 2,000 schools in California, there are not enough resources to address students’ physical and chronic illnesses, depression, anxiety, and stress.
California already has 243 school-based health centers offering high-quality health care to more than 257,000 children. With more school-based health centers, we can:
- Increase health care access, by reaching students where they are – in school.
- Provide a trusted, familiar environment for youth to receive care.
- Enable schools to address students’ needs so they can be in class, ready to learn.
We Can Do It Together
We envision a future where preventable and treatable health conditions no longer are a barrier to the success of California students. Together we can achieve:
- Improved vaccination rates and preventive care.
- Better attendance rates and enhanced student achievement.
- Increased access to quality physical and mental health services at school.
Please join us in asking for more school-based health care for all students in California!
Add Your Voice